Originally established as a crude fort in 1699 near the mouth of the Mississippi, the name "Plaquemines" was a Gallicization of a Native American word for the many nearby "persimmon" trees.
The inhabitants of Plaquemines are stubborn and tough.
Having weathered many wars, hurricanes, and landscape changes from shifting tides, sandbars, and marshes—the Parish strongly adheres to its deep French roots.
This composition captures this heritage and the primordial beauty of Louisiana wetlands against blue skies and silver-tipped clouds.
24 x 24