SEPTEMBER JOURNAL: WELCOME HOME
Thoughtful details for a welcoming home
Photography by Lindsey Stewart
As summer turns to fall, welcome loved ones into a cozy home at the end of a long day of school or work. The scent of baked apples, a fresh soap by the sink and laughter coming from the other room are all reminders that home is the place to be when the seasons change.
SEPTEMBER PLAYLIST: WELCOME HOME
Our September playlist was made for afternoons in the kitchen.
APPLE STREUSEL BARS
These bars are perfect for an after school treat then enjoyed for breakfast the next morning or tucked into a lunch box.
FOUNDATION GOODS APPLE STREUSEL BARS
2 cups + 1 T flour for topping
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp + 1/2 tsp cinnamon for topping
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup + 2 T salted butter, chopped for topping
1 cup jarred apple butter
2 apples sliced thin
2 T maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a square baking pan and set aside.
2. Pulse together 2 cups flour, oats, nuts, sugars, baking powder and 1 tsp of cinnamon to form crumbly mixture.
3. Press 1/3 of the dough into bottom of prepared baking dish. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
4. While base is baking, toss sliced apples with maple syrup, remaining 1 Tb flour, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
5. Spread the apple butter evenly over baked crust.
6. Arrange prepared apple slices in an even layer over apple butter.
7. Crumble remaining dough over top of apples along with remaining 2 T chopped butter.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
9. Let cool and slice into bars.
Make your list and check it twice for fall essentials:
1. Fall candle
2. Soaps for kitchen and bathroom sinks
3. Hand towel
4. After school snack/treat jar
5. Step stool